Plumbing Permit

With any plumbing work, there is a danger of cross-connection and contamination of the water supply if not done properly and inspected to meet plumbing code regulation.

Issued To

  • A homeowner who owns and occupies the home, and is completing the work
  • A licensed master plumber who is contracted to do the work

Icon of two pieces of paperPaper/Mailed Application

Icon of computer mouse pointer clickingOnline Application

Licensed contractors can apply online for certain plumbing permits for residential properties:

  • Water Softeners
  • Water Heaters
  • Plumbing Fixtures
  • Remodel


Permits must be obtained before every project

Additional Requirements

  • Permits that need a plan review such as a deck, basement finish, remodel or addition will need to go through the review process
  • Permits are required when:
    • Replacing fixtures or traps “breaks the seal” on the drain system. Fixtures include but aren't limited to:             
      • Sinks: kitchen, bath, bar, including replacing traps and faucets
      • Garbage disposals
      • Dishwashers
      • Mop sinks, laundry tubs
      • Toilets
      • Showers, bath tubs
      • Sump pumps
      • Hot water heaters—water softeners
    • Any instance of running new pipelines


Fees are listed on permit applications


Questions? Contact

Building Inspections Department
100 Civic Center Parkway, Burnsville, Minn. 55337